What is a Zero Energy Home?

A Zero Energy Home is a home that produces as much energy as it consumes on an annual basis. This means that there is absolutely no electrical, oil, propane, or natural gas costs.

How do you build a Zero Energy Home?

Our homes feature a super-insulated building envelope that incorporates thick insulation, triple pane windows, and air tight construction details. By building this way, we are able to save 60%-70% on energy costs. After this, we implement solar panels which produce enough energy to take care of the remaining 30%-40%. You are left with a home that produces as much energy as it consumes.

Does a Net Zero Home cost more to construct?

Yes it does, but not as much as you would think. We spend more money building a super-insulated building envelope, but we are able to see savings by using a substantially downsized HVAC system and also by taking advantage of generous state incentives. Because of this, we usually figure that there is only a 5% increase in overall cost. When figured into a 30 year mortgage, this upfront cost is minimal, and you should be able to see savings from day one!

Does a Net Zero Home have to be modern or boxy?

Absolutely not, we can make nearly any design achieve Net Zero Energy use. In most cases, other than the solar panels, no one would ever be able to distinguish a Net Zero home from a regular home.

If the home is built air tight, how is indoor air quality?

All of our homes have a heat recovery ventilation system that runs constantly; supplying filtered outdoor air, and extracting stale indoor air. Our homes have a complete air exchange every three hours, providing outstanding indoor air quality.